Saturday, December 29, 2007

It's not Times Square.....

Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to be in Times Square for New Years Eve. Being among the crowd as the ball drops and confetti litters the air, and it has to be cold and snowing, at least in my version of the evening.

Every year I host a NYE party for a small group of family and friends, nothing extravagant. This year will be no different. Only a party of 7 will ring in the new year here in our new home.

Nicks younger brother Joe and his lady friend Linda will be our NYE guest this year. Since they have yet to see our new house, this holiday is a perfect time for them to visit and celebrate. We also have friends, Gennie and Eric, from Columbia SC flying in Sunday morning. They made a surprise NYE appearance a few years ago and we all had a blast. They'll be leaving on Tuesday, just enough time to catch up and celebrate. And of course my best friend and Christopher's Godfather, Eddy will be in attendance. We've never missed a New Years Eve celebration together since 1982.

The menu will have a holiday favorite I made famous several NYE's ago, sausage roll. Never heard of it? Well you must try it some time it's real easy to make and it'll become a favorite around your house too. All you need is a 1 pound roll of Bob Evans sausage, American cheese and two packages of Betty Crocker pizza crust mix. Fry the sausage and drain the grease. Mix the dough and flatten on a greased rectangle cookie sheet. Put the sausage in the middle of the dough and top with 4 or 5 slices of cheese. Fold the ends of the dough in and then the sides. Bake for 30 minutes or until the bottom is brown and the dough is cooked. Slice and serve, it is YUMMY! I'll take pictures so you can see the finished product.

I'm also baking a half a ham, ranch potato salad and whipped sweet potatoes. I made an extra tray of lasagna when I assembled our Christmas Eve dinner so I'll bake that as well. A vegetable tray with dip. Cheese, crackers, pepperoni and sliced summer sausage will round out the snacking food. Everyone should be fat and happy come midnight.

I'll post pictures of the cast of characters and the spread before it's devoured. With the fire blazing and our Christmas lights all aglow, I'm sure our slipper clad guests will enjoy themselves, just like Times Square.

1 comment:

Bekah said...

I will definitely try the sausage roll. (I need to give that new Pampered Chef stone a run for its money!)

How do you make your ranch potato salad?