Friday, December 07, 2007

Decorations; Part One

I made it home Wednesday, despite the seasons first snow storm and "newbie" drivers on the road the same time I planned to make my way south. Lake effect snow fall is common for the Cleveland area. It's what every kid goes to bed hoping to see in the morning, that and your schools name scrolling across the bottom of the TV. A January birthday ensured my ability to navigate the salt trucks and 4 inches of snowfall on the pavement. I must say, I'm a great foul weather driver even in a rear wheel drive car.

At 9:30 Wednesday morning I left the doctors office and entered 271 south. Certain the traffic would be light and the further south I drove the better the driving conditions. It turns out I would have to drive to Covington Kentucky to find clear pavement that morning.

Unaware my destination was under a level 2 storm warning, I continued to travel 60 to 65 MPH waiting for the flurries to cease. They didn't. The closer I got to Columbus, local forecasters informed me of road conditions, temperature and (lack of) visibility for the route I was taking. Overnight the city received 4 inches of snow, and it was still snowing, with more south and east, which is where I was headed (I-270 south, exit 49).

All in all I still made great time, only adding 45 minutes to the normal 2 hour drive. It was nice to see snow and it made the pictures of the decorated house even more beautiful.

I told Nick we need more lights!
Maybe 3 or 4 hundred more. I'm going to purchase them at the after Christmas sale when they're at least 50% off.

We had enough to trace the garage and circle the post on the porch. Next year I'd like to decorate the maple tree and I hope the 2 pines we planted will be big enough to put a string of lights on them as well.

2 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Glad you made it safely. About the decorations: It's your first year there. You don't want to kill yourselves with major decorating so soon.

That said, don't forget the roof line. It gives a nice frame for the lights underneath.

So, did you drive to Kentucky?

janice said...

The roof line, yes.

You're right, we don't want to be known as the "Grizwalds" next summer.

I didn't make it to Kentucky, Colmbus was far enough. We got more snow than Cleveland did. I was surprised to see the news that evening.