Thursday, October 12, 2006

What's the matter here?

Where have I been? When I was a kid, going to McDonald's was a treat. For 38 years, my dad worked the "swing" shift for LTV Steel. Swing shift meant you worked first shift one week, second shift the next and the next week you'd work third shift. (repeat until you retire) Once and a while when dad was working afternoons, my mom would treat us to McDonald's. Probably so she didn't have to cook. But it was a treat and not an every week event. Of course childhood restrictions were applied to the rare indulgence. Clean your room, do your homework and so on. When my son was old enough to enjoy the nations best fast food french fries, it was a treat as well. I can't speak for my mother, but it would explain all the Happy Meal toys at the bottom of his little suit case.

Yesterday I noticed that Arby's now accepts Visa and Mastercard. I almost rear ended the car in front of me. I was so astounded by this revelation, I embarked on a fact finding mission. Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's, Rally's, Mr. Hero and Subway also benefit from people who utilize these establishments to feed their families. It seems fast food restaurants have replaced the family dinner table. Gone are the days when mothers cooked meals, every day, and going out to eat was a family indulgence once the bills were paid. When mom deserved a break from the kitchen it wasn't for a hamburger she could have prepared at home for half the price. We were seated at a table, not standing at a counter, and gave our food order to someone who never handled money. Where have I been and when did this happen?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

C'MON DEAR WAKE UP AND SMELL THE BIG MAC'S!DEBIT AND CREDIT ARE EVERYWHERE, AND NOT MANY "FAMILY MEALS" ARE AROUND ANY MORE.PEOPLE GO OUT TO EAT 5 OUT OF 7 MEALS. MATBE THAT IS WHY GROCERY STORES ARE GOING UNDER