Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Give Thanks........

Most of us in America will give thanks tomorrow. Many parents will ask their children to recite a prayer before the feast. Others will spout those silly words of grace we've all heard one time or another. And some will skip the pre-meal expressions of gratitude altogether. When I take my seat tomorrow I will be reminded of the many reasons I am thankful. As I look around the table I will be thankful to be surrounded by my family and the meal we will share. I am thankful for this great country and to have been born an American. I am thankful for the alarm clock that rings at 4:30 am everyday, it means I have a job. I am thankful for the mortgage payment every month, it means I have a home. I am thankful the pain I feel in my back, it means I can walk. I am thankful for the church bells I hear, it means I am free to worship in peace.
Across this great nation there will be families with a loved one who has made the choice to serve their country. Those brave men and women will be sharing a meal in a far away land and some will be in communion with Our Lord. In between the turkey and the pumpkin pie, give thanks to those missing from the dinner table.

No comments: